The eBags Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible bag has been on my travel gear want list for a long time. My brother has had one for years and can not say enough good things about it. When eBags contacted me and asked me if I would like to review the bag I immediately said yes.
eBags was nice enough to send me both the Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible and the Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible Junior. These bags are very similar in size, features and layout. The only difference is that the Weekend Convertible Junior is 2 inches shorter than the larger Weekender Convertible.
I have used the Mother Lode Convertible on two trips so far and really like the bag. Both trips were for four days and I did not have a problem fitting everything in. I could use this bag for longer trips as long as I do not over pack.
There are so many great features designed into this bag that I can not list them all here. Here are some of the features that I liked.
- Laptop Pocket – This is at the back of the bag and is accessible through a zipper along the top. It can be adjusted to fit most laptops.
- Multiple carrying options – Carry strap, backpack straps or handles. The shoulder carry strap detaches and can be used when needed. The backpack straps pull out from the back of the bag for easy use. There are also three padded handles that make it easy to carry by hand.
- Fold down shelf in the main compartment. Can be used to divided the compartment. If not needed it folds up out of the way and does not take up any room. I used it to separate an extra pair of shoes from my clothing.
- Zippered pocket at the top front of the bag. This can be used to keep items that you need easy access to. I put my 3-1-1 toiletry bag in there so I could easily get it out when going through airport security.
- Bottle holder – This pocket zips up out of the way when not being used.
- Expansion zipper – This is gives you a little more room when needed. Like when you bought a bunch of souvenirs on your trip.
This bag is very versatile because it can be packed in many different ways. The different pockets allow you to organize your bag however you want. The pockets are flexible so that you do not lose space if you decide to fill up one of the many other pockets. There are also internal and external compression straps that keep everything secure.
I tried using the Mother Lode TLS Weekender Junior but the extra two inches in height of the full size Mother Lode TLS Weekender really made a big difference. If you are trying to decide between the two bags I would go with the full size Weekender Convertible.
I really like this bag and will definitely be using it again. It is great for long weekend trips and easily fits in the overhead compartment on airplanes.
Watch the video below for more information about the bag.
- The current price for the Mother Lode TLS Weekender Convertible is $99.00. Prices subject to change
- The bag can be ordered at eBags.com
- There is also a rolling version of this bag.
Disclaimer: eBags sent me this bag to review. All opinions are my own.