The Magic Fountains on Montjuïc are one of my favorite sight to see when I visit Barcelona. They were built in 1929 for the Worlds Fair and have been entertaining visitors since.
There is a network of fountains that run from the Plaça Espanya up to the Palau Nacional along Av. Reina Maria Cristina. The main fountain is where all the action takes place.
The fountains are choreographed with music and lights. The shows run for about 15 minutes and there are 4-5 shows per night.
The shows take place on Friday and Saturday year round and Thursday through Sunday from May to September.
The fountains are especially beautiful at sunset when you can sit on the steps with a great view of Barcelona in the background. When you visit Barcelona you should make it a point to see the magic fountains.
- The operating times vary by the day and time of year.
- Arrive early during the peak season to get seats on the steps.
- The shows are free.
- Visit the Magic Fountains Website for more details.
- The closest Metro stop is Pl. Espanya. The fountains are a five minute walk.
- Watch your bags. Pickpockets like crowds and distractions.
Map Location of the Fountains
View Larger Map